The Travis Perkins plc Group (“TP Group”)(“we” or “us”) run a number of careers websites for the companies that form part of the TP Group.
If you make a job application, the data controller for your personal information will be the TP Group company to which you have applied.
What information do we collect about you?
We will collect information about you when you apply for a position, register for a Personal Profile and/or Job Alerts or request further information from us.
There are various ways to apply for a position, which are dependent on the systems applicable to the TP Group company to which you are applying:
- Submit your CV directly by post or email
- Apply by uploading a file
- Fill in an online form
- Apply using Dropbox or Google Drive to upload a file
- Apply using LinkedIn by giving permission for our service provider (currently Avature) to access your name, photo, headline and current positions and to use the primary email associated with your account
- Send this job by email to a friend: if a visitor to any of the TP Group careers sites sends a job advert to a friend we will collect their name and email address as well as friend’s name and email address
- Via an agency or employment business
The type of information we may collect includes:
- Name, address, phone number, email address
- Job preferences and areas of interest
- Right to work in the UK (British national or other right to work)
- Pay type (hourly/daily/annually), pay rate or salary
- Details of any pending prosecutions and unspent criminal convictions
- Worked or working in the military
- Work history: employer, position, start and end dates, duties
- Education and qualifications: school or university, qualification level, start and end dates
- Racial or ethnic origin
We may ask for some sensitive personal information, such as race or ethnic origin, for the purposes of equal opportunities monitoring, or we may ask if you have a disability so we can make necessary adjustments for your interview or job. This information is usually voluntary and you will be given the opportunity to decide if you want to provide it or not. To the extent you choose to make sensitive personal information available to us, you agree to us processing that information in accordance with this policy.
We may supplement the information that you provide to us with information that we receive later on from third parties, for example references, recruiters and organisations that provide background checks (this may include right to work, criminal records checks, reference checks, background checks and verification of qualifications, to the extent permitted by law). This information may form part of your employment records if you are offered a position with us.
We may also collect information from publicly available information sources such as social media websites and corporate directories so that we can contact you about potential opportunities which may be relevant to you.
If you attend an interview (online, on the phone or in person), we may keep notes about the conversation you had with our recruitment team and managers.
We automatically collect certain data from you when you use any of the TP Group careers sites, including IP address or other unique device identifiers, information collected by cookies on your usage of any of the TP Group careers sites, your mobile carrier (if applicable), time zone setting, operating system and platform and information regarding your use of any of the TP Group careers sites.
How do we use the information we collect about you?
We will process your personal information for legitimate recruitment, human resources and business management purposes. These include:
- Processing your job application when you apply for a specific position within the TP Group, including evaluating your application and verifying your qualifications and experience
- Carrying out background checks including, to the extent permitted by law, checking references, qualifications, right to work and criminal records
- To support the Armed Forces community by recruiting veterans, young and old
- Conducting equal opportunities and diversity monitoring
- Contacting you about employment opportunities where your employment history, education and qualifications and salary expectations match our requirements
- Contacting you about employment opportunities that match your stated preferences via our register for Job Alerts
- To keep you informed about what’s going on in our businesses
- To contact you for your views on our services
- Record-keeping related to the recruitment/hiring process
- Analysing the recruitment/hiring process and outcomes
- Notifying you about updates or changes to the site or services whenever necessary
- For market research and analytics purposes, to track activity on our site, to publish trends and/or to improve usefulness and content to provide a more personalised online experience (this will be on an anonymous basis as far as possible)
Your personal information will be processed for the limited purposes described, and in accordance with relevant privacy and other applicable laws. We endeavour to restrict the collection of personal information to that which is relevant and necessary for our recruitment and related purposes.
When we collect personal information from you we will normally indicate whether it is mandatory or voluntary – this is done on our websites by using asterisks to mark mandatory fields.
Legal basis for processing
Some of the information we collect is provided by you voluntarily when you choose to register with any of the TP Group careers sites or apply for a job with us. If you have provided information voluntarily, you are free to withdraw your consent at any time (see Your Rights section below).
Once we begin the recruitment process, some of the personal information we collect is necessary for us to fulfil our legal obligations as an employer (or prospective employer). This includes verifying your identity and eligibility to work in the UK. We also ask for information about disabilities so we can make appropriate arrangements for interviews, and we collect information about racial origin and ethnicity to meet our equal opportunities and diversity obligations.
The remainder of the information is necessary for our legitimate business interests as an employer and to help prevent fraud. This includes confirming your qualifications, obtaining references and conducting criminal records and other background checks. We also collect information to enable us to run a diverse and effective recruitment process, and to carry out analysis, monitoring and reporting.
Keeping you informed and your right to opt out
If you do not fully complete your online application we may contact you by email to remind you to provide the remaining information. Please note that we cannot consider incomplete applications.
If you have applied for a position with us or registered for one of our services previously we may use the information we collect to let you know about our other services which may be of interest to you and to keep you updated with information about relevant employment opportunities, career events, career advice, industry information and what’s going on in our businesses. Please see “Your Rights” below for details of how to stop receiving communications from us.
Retention of information
We will continue to hold your details for as long as you indicate that you are happy for us to do so. If you do not want to be considered for other positions or would like to have your personal information removed, please contact email@example.com
Unless required for legal purposes or in connection with employment, we will retain your personal data for a maximum of 12 months from the date of submission or the latest update of your details or account information.
If your application is successful, your personal Information will be transferred to your personnel file and retained accordingly. Your information may be retained for a longer period if there are valid legal grounds for us to do so, for example if required by law or court order, or as needed to defend or pursue legal claims.
How we share your information
We will not use your personal information to send you direct marketing, nor will we provide your personal information to third parties to use for their direct marketing purposes. These restrictions do not apply to contact or other personal data obtained in the context of a customer/supplier relationship or other non-employment relationship with us.
However, we may use external third party providers to perform certain services for us. These services / service providers may include but are not limited to:
- Avature, the company which currently provides the platform for our recruitment system; at the date of this policy, they store your information in the European Economic Area and have back up facilities outside the European Economic Area;
- 4MAT who currently host our careers sites; at the date of this policy, they store your information in the European Economic Area;
- Service providers who help us with psychometric ability testing, video interviews, audit services, administrative services, IT technologies (e.g. data storage), security services and insurance claims;
- Background check providers who help us with reference checking, pre-employment checks, vetting services and verifying the information that you have provided if your application is successful;
- Service providers that assist us with listing our jobs, to reach people who may be interested in TP Group opportunities;
- Service providers that assist us understanding how our websites works by setting cookies on our websites (more information on this can be found in our cookies policy https://www.tpplccareers.co.uk/cookie-policy);
- Social media platforms who serve our job listings on their platforms;
- Service providers who send postal mail and emails and analyse data;
- Referees, so they can provide a reference
These third parties have access to your personal information solely for the purposes of performing the services specified in the applicable service contract, and we require them to protect the personal information they handle and to keep it secure.
In addition, we may be required to disclose your information to other third parties as required by law, regulatory requirement or court order, or to exercise or defend our legal rights to the extent authorised or permitted by law.
We may also disclose and/or transfer your personal information in connection with a reorganisation of all or part of our business, if the majority of our shares are bought by another company or if we transfer all or some of our assets to another company.
Transferring information to other countries
Some of the companies who provide services to us may be located outside the United Kingdom. For example, Avature currently has back up facilities in the United States. As a result, your personal information may be transferred outside the UK, including to locations outside the European Economic Area where data protection laws may not provide the same level of privacy protection. We will ensure that our service providers comply with any legal requirements that apply to the transfer of personal information outside the UK. For example, Avature is currently certified to the EU-US Privacy Shield. In other cases we may require the service provider to sign the approved European Commission Standard Contractual Clauses for the transfer of personal data to third countries.
Confidentiality of Account Information and User Identification
Where applicable, it is your responsibility to ensure the confidentiality of your account, user identification, password or any other information provided as part of our security procedures. You agree to accept responsibility for all activities that occur using your account, user identification or password and acknowledge that we shall not be liable to any person for any loss or damage which may arise as a result of your failure to keep this information secure. Please let us know immediately if you believe that your password, user identification or any other information provided as part of our security procedures has become known to anyone else, or if this information is being, or is likely to be, used in an unauthorised manner.
We reserve the right to disable any user identification, account or password, at any time, if in our opinion you have failed to comply with any of the provisions of the conditions of use of any the TP Group careers sites.
How is your information protected?
We take protection of your information seriously and have appropriate organisational and technical security measures in place to keep it safe. Internally, we restrict access to personal information. Only individuals who need access to your personal information for legitimate business purposes have access to it.
We also ensure that TP Group personnel are adequately trained in protecting your personal information. Our procedures mean that we may request proof of identity before we share your personal information with you.
Links to other websites
Links may be provided on our website to other websites that are not operated by us. If you use these links, you will leave our website. You should note that we are not responsible for the contents of any third party website. External sites will have their own privacy policies which you should read carefully.
Changes to this policy
You can let us know if you no longer want to receive emails from us each time that you receive a message by following the instructions (e.g. link to unsubscribe). You can also opt out of receiving communications at any time by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
If you choose to opt out and then decide to apply for a new opportunity within the TP Group, you may have to contact email@example.com in order to remove your email address from the unsubscribe list
Access and Correction
You may request details of the personal information about you that may be held in connection with the TP Group Careers service. If you would like a copy of it, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at Group Resourcing, Travis Perkins plc, Lodge Way House, Lodge Way, Harlestone Road, Northampton, NN5 7UG
If you create an account on any of the TP Group careers sites you will be able to access the information in your account using your User ID and Password. You can also update your personal information or make any corrections to it. It is your responsibility to ensure the personal information in your account is accurate and up to date.
If you do not have an account on any of the TP Group careers sites, or if you would like us to correct or update any other personal information, you may email or write to us at the address given above and ask us to update our records.
If you ask us to deactivate your account or delete your personal information, we will endeavour to fulfil your request but some information (for example, full name, your unique identifier (currently email address), job application history and outcome(s)) may be retained as necessary for legitimate business purposes or to comply with our legal obligations.
You may also have the following rights in relation to your personal information:
- in certain circumstances, the right to restrict or object to the processing of your personal information (including any profiling), or request that your personal information is deleted
- where you have provided personal information voluntarily, or otherwise consented to its use, the right to withdraw your consent
- in certain circumstances, the right to receive a copy of the personal information which you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format or to request that we transfer that information to another party (known as “data portability”)
- the right to complain to a Data Protection Authority (see further below)
Travis Perkins Group Data Protection Officer
Travis Perkins plc
c/o General Counsel Office
Rye Hill Close
Lodge Farm Industrial Estate
Or emailing them at:
email@example.com (marking emails for the attention of the Data Protection Officer)
If you are not satisfied with our use of your personal information or our response to any request made by you in relation to your personal information, you have a right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Tel: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545745 (national rate)
Adopted: May 2018
What is Diwali? At the Travis Perkins Group, we are committed to creating a culture of belonging where everyone feels welcome and confident to be themselves - you be you, it makes us, us!
Technology is the power behind our operation at Travis Perkins plc, from where we design and develop innovative solutions in-house to bring our businesses together, transforming the way our colle
In honour of Black History Month, we wanted to shine a spotlight on Jade Hurst, a Software Operations Engineer at Travis Perkins plc, who has been with us since 2012.Armed with a passion for c
When you think of an Apprentice you might imagine someone straight out of education, taking those first steps in their career. But according to a House of Commons report, in the 2021/2022 academic ye
Meet Jade, one of our shining stars, who since April 2021 has dedicated herself as a full-time Kitchen Design Apprentice at Benchmarx Leamington Spa. Benchmarx stands as a specialist in kitchens and
Charlotte joined the Travis Perkins Group with no previous experience in the industry but has since gained a promotion and is now Assistant Manager at our Tool Hire branch in Hemel Hempstead
What does a good apprentice look like? Well, it really depends on the type of apprenticeship, industry, and employer you are interested in. However, generally speaking, there are skills, both sof
Our Level 2 Apprenticeships at Travis Perkins plc are designed for colleagues new to the industry or business to develop your industry understanding, and help you learn about our products and how
How do I prepare for an Apprenticeship interview? Whilst you can’t anticipate every single question you’ll be asked, there are ways to stay prepared no matter what questions are thrown your way.